Impact Extruded Container Manufacturing
Exal Corporation manufactures a variety of packaging products using the reverse impact extrusion process. Impact extrusion is a process by which metal products are made from a soft metal(lead,tin,aluminum) slug. A container cylinder is formed inside a confining die from the cold slug, by a single stroke application of force through a punch causing the metal to flow around the punch.The punch is attached a hydraulic press generating forces up to 250 psi.
Extrusion presses for packaging typically reciprocate at a rate of 150 to 200 strokes per minute. A cold slug is placed opposite the punch and over the die. The punch makes contact with the slug forcing the material to flow outward back over the punch. The metal slug deforms and fits the punch on the inside and the die on the outside. It only takes one impact for the finished shape to form from the slug. Once the slug has been contoured into a cylinder a counter-punch ejector removes the cylinder from within the die.
Impact extrusion lines for rigid aluminum can manufacturing are complex. They incorporate many manufacturing processes into a single continuous production line that tranforms an aluminum slug into a dynamic, decorated, finished aluminum container.
Impact Extruded Container Line Processes
- Tumbling the Slugs for lubrication of external surface of Slug
- Impact Extrusion of Aluminum Slug
- Trimming of the Extruded Cylinder
- Cleaning and Bushing the Surface of the Extruded Cylinder
- Washing & Drying of Brushed Cylinder
- Internal Spray Coating of the Cylinder , Cured in an Oven
- Application of Basecoat, Cured in an Oven
- Application of Dry Offset Printing, Cured in an Oven
- Application of Over Varnsih, Cured in an Oven
- Necking or Shaping of the Container
- Outserting of Injection Molded Bottle Threads (Beverage Products Only)
- Post Washing of Container (Beverage Products Only)
- Packaging of Finished Containers: Aerosols (Bundle/Pack), Beverage (Bulk Palletize)